Coupon Codes For Online Shopping
Coupon Codes For Online Shopping

Light Drizzle
7-Day Forecast

Get Breaking News

Receive special offers from
Originally published: 2013-03-22 01:25:22
Last modified: 2013-03-22 01:25:22

Marquette edges Davidson in first round

by Staff Reports

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Marquette’s Vander Blue hit a layup with one second remaining to lift the third-seeded Golden Eagles over Davidson, 59-58, in the second round of the 2013 NCAA Championship East Region on Thursday afternoon at Rupp Arena.

Trailing 53-46, Marquette (24-8) outscored the Wildcats 13-5 over the final one minute and 36 seconds to end the nation’s longest winning streak.

Blue and Jamil Wilson made consecutive 3-pointers to bring Marquette within 58-57,with 11 seconds left. The Golden Eagles then caught a huge break when De'Mon Brooks’ long pass down the sideline was just out of the reach of Nik Cochran and went out of bounds with six seconds left, providing another opportunity.

Jake Cohen, a two-time SoCon Player of the Year, had a game-high 20 points for the Wildcats, who finish the season at 26-8. Brooks finished with 11 points and eight boards, while Cochran chipped in 11 points and five rebounds.

Davidson broke a 38-38 tie with an 11-2 run capped off by back-to-back Cohen buckets to go up, 49-40, with 6:26 remaining. After the Golden Eagles responded with six unanswered to cut the deficit to three, 49-46, the Wildcats answered with four straight free throws to stretch the margin back to seven, 53-46, with 1:49 to play.

Blue paced three Marquette players in double figures with 16 points. Wilson added 14, while Chris Otule had a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds to go along with four blocks.

The Wildcats shot 41.3 percent (19-46) from the floor, while holding Marquette to just 34.5 percent (20-58). The Golden Eagles started the contest 1-of-12 from 3-point range before making three straight during their game-ending run.

Marquette finished with a 41-29 advantage on the glass, including 17 offensive rebounds.

Davidson, which entered its 12th NCAA tournament as the nation’s top free-throw shooting team, went just 14-of-22 (.636) from the charity stripe.

Thanks to three early buckets from long range, the Wildcats raced out to a 12-2 advantage. Marquette responded with a spurt of its own, to take its first lead of the contest, 22-19, with just under five minutes to play in the first half. Davidson got six straight from Brooks before going to the break up 25-23.

The game featured nine ties and seven lead changes.