Public one-stop voting workshop
by Allison Haver
Watauga County citizens will have the opportunity to voice their opinions and share their ideas about potential one-stop locations for the 2014 elections.
The Watauga County Board
of Elections met on Feb. 17 to schedule a citizen informational workshop on potential one-stop
The informational session will be held on Feb. 24 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the commissioners' boardroom in the Watauga County Administrative building, which is located next to the courthouse.
Chairman Luke Eggers said the workshop would be a two-hour drop-in session for people to come in after work and look at proposed one-stop sites on a map and approach the board members to pitch their own proposals or comment on other sites.
"People can come to us and share their ideas and we can show them what we were thinking," board member and lone democrat Kathleen Campbell said.
Campbell presented some possibilities that she believed would best serve everybody.
Her proposed one-stop sites included:
- Meat Camp Fire Department for North Fork, Meat Camp and Bald Mountain precincts: 2,574 active registrations as of Feb. 6, 2014; 7 percent of voting population
- Cove Creek Fire Department for Cove
Creek, Beaver Dam, Laurel Creek and Brushy Fork (split) precincts: 5,562 registrations at 15
- Foscoe Fire Department for Watauga, Shawneehaw and Beech Mountain precincts: 3,486 registrations at 10 percent
- Watauga County Courthouse, Linville Falls Room at ASU, and Town Hall in Boone for eight Boone precincts Boone 1, 2 and 3; New River 1, 2 and 3; Blowing Rock; Blue Ridge; and Brushy Fork (split): 22,268 at 62 percent
- Deep Gap Fire Department for Stoney Fork and Elk precincts: 2,088 at 6 percent
Campbell said she wanted to make people in Boone and out in the county happy.
"That was my goal to make everyone happy," she said and she then asked her fellow board members to consider her proposal.
Eggers and board secretary Bill Aceto did not disclose any proposals for one-stop sites of their own on during the Feb. 17 meeting.