Coupon Codes For Online Shopping
Coupon Codes For Online Shopping

Get Breaking News

Receive special offers from wataugademocrat.com.



Originally published: 2013-01-10 16:21:41
Last modified: 2013-01-10 16:45:32

Man rescued from house fire

Two firefighters carried a man to safety Thursday afternoon after he was unable to get himself out of his burning home.

Dispatchers directed Boone Fire Department to the home at 644 Little Laurel Road at 3 p.m., advising responders that it wasn't certain all residents were out of the house.

Firefighters Kyle Hassler and Taylor Marsh found the man awake and conscious in a second-floor bedroom but unable to get out of bed without assistance. Hassler said a wheelchair in the bedroom led them to believe the man may have had limited mobility.

The firefighters lifted the man — sheets and all — and carried him outside the house, where a Watauga Medics ambulance was waiting to take him to the hospital to be examined. An update on his condition was not immediately available Thursday afternoon.

Meanwhile, other firefighters quickly attacked the fire, which started in the basement in the back of the house. Fire Chief Jimmy Isaacs said that a wood-fired water stove was the source of the fire, but the cause was still uncertain as of Thursday afternoon.

Isaacs said the call was proof of the need for an additional station on the east side of Boone's district, which would cut response times on that side of the county. The Boone Fire Department currently has a property under contract but has encountered some hiccups, he said.

Additional Images