Labor department honors area businesses for safety
"It's really an honor for me to travel throughout the state and recognize these employers who are making a commitment to their employees' safety and health," state Labor Commissioner Cherie Berry said. "These employers are helping to make North Carolina workplaces some of the safest in the country."
The awards honor outstanding on-the-job safety achievements of each company during 2013.
Recipients are based in Boone, Burlington, Charlotte, Drexel, Granite Falls, Hickory, Hudson, Jefferson, Lansing, Lenoir, Marion, Morganton, Monroe, Newland, North Wilkesboro, Pineola, Raleigh, Spruce Pine, Taylorsville, Valdese and Winston-Salem.
Berry spoke at the banquet and presented the awards. The event is co-sponsored by the N.C. Department of Labor and the Burke County Chamber of Commerce.
Recipients have met the requirements necessary to receive a safety award.
Under program rules, companies must have been free of fatal accidents at the site for which the award is given to be eligible.
The gold award criteria are based on a DART rate that is at least 50 percent below the statewide rate for its industry. The rate includes cases of days away from work, restricted activity or job transfer.
The silver award is based only on cases with days away from work. They are recorded when the worker misses at least one full day of work, not including the day of the injury. The applicant must attain an incidence rate for cases with days away from work that is at least 50 percent below the rate for its industry.
• Silver Award, first year: Chandler Concrete Co. Inc., Blowing Rock Plant No. 502; and Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp, Sparta District.
• Gold Award, first year: Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp, Caldwell District; Blue Ridge Energies LLC, Ashe District; Blue Ridge Energies LLC, Caldwell District; Chandler Concrete Co. Inc., Boone Plant No. 501; Watauga Opportunities Inc.; Vannoy Construction, James R. Vannoy & Sons Construction; and N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, N.C. Forest Service District 2.
• Gold Award, second consecutive year: Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp., Ashe District; Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp., Watauga District; and Vulcan Construction Materials LP, East Region, Avery Sales Yard;
• Gold Award, sixth consecutive year: R.H. Loven Co., Boone Plant; and Vulcan Construction Materials LP, East Region, Boone Quarry;
• Gold Award, 12th consecutive year: Blue Ridge Energies LLC, Catawba District.
• Gold Award, 15th consecutive year: Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp, Corporate Office.
• Million Hour Award: 1 million hours, or multiples thereof, with no lost-time accidents: Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corp., 2 million hours for June 28, 2008, through Dec. 16, 2013.More information on the Labor Department's Safety Awards Program is available by calling (919) 807-2908 or emailing Eursula Joyner at (firstname.lastname@example.org)