House supports CO detectors amendment
by Anna Oakes
The N.C. House of Representatives voted 113-0 Thursday on an amendment that would require carbon monoxide detectors in lodging establishment statewide.
The House was still considering other amendments Thursday afternoon and had not yet voted on the complete Senate Bill 112 as of press time.
Rep. Jonathan Jordan of Jefferson said he has been working with stakeholders to develop language requiring carbon monoxide detectors in North Carolina hotels and lodging facilities after the fatal carbon monoxide poisoning of a couple in their 70s and an 11-year-old boy at Boone's Best Western in April and June this year.
North Carolina building codes currently do not require carbon monoxide detectors in commercial properties like hotels, but they are required in new single-family and two-family homes.
The language was added to S112 and reviewed by the House Regulatory Reform Committee on Wednesday.
The new language states: "For lodging establishments, carbon monoxide detectors shall be installed in every enclosed space having a fossil-fuel burning heater, appliance or fireplace, and in any enclosed space, including a sleeping room, that shares a common wall, floor or ceiling with an enclosed space having a fossil-fuel burning heater, appliance or fireplace."
The language states that detectors must receive primary power from the building's
electrical wiring with a battery backup.
Speaking earlier this week, N.C. Sen. Dan Soucek of Boone said he did not believe the General Assembly had enough information to pass a bill requiring carbon monoxide detectors in hotels by the end of this session, which he said could last another two to four weeks.
"I don't think there are enough facts," he said. "I want to make sure this solution addresses the problem ... (not) just one that feels good."