Coupon Codes For Online Shopping
Coupon Codes For Online Shopping

73.0°
Partly Cloudy
7-Day Forecast

Get Breaking News

Receive special offers from wataugademocrat.com.

After setting smaller fires inside the house, then extinguishing them, to practice during the morning, Boone Fire Department set this house on Cherokee Street aflame. Kellen Moore | Watauga Democrat.



Originally published: 2013-04-06 13:49:23
Last modified: 2013-04-06 13:49:23

Fire department conducts training burn

Boone Fire Department and Meat Camp Volunteer Fire Department participated Saturday in a training burn of a house on Cherokee Street in Boone.

Teams of firefighters took turns entering the home and extinguishing wood pallets and hay bales their coworkers set aflame.

"We're trying to simulate that environment," said Boone Fire Marshal Ronnie Marsh. "Sometimes it's a little bit disheartening because you put it out pretty quick. You still get the education, the experience, heat, smoke, fire and everything else, but it is controlled."

Representatives from Watauga Rescue Squad also stayed on the scene to assist as needed.

After practicing all morning in portions of the house, the fire department set the entire house on fire and watched it burn.

The home was donated by property owner Andrew Wade, a volunteer firefighter, who plans to develop the land.

Visit YouTube.com/TheWataugaDemocrat for clips from the training sessions.