Fire damages mobile home in Boone
by Kellen Moore
Melissa Santiago said she was in her kitchen making soup at about 4:35 p.m. when the fire broke out in a back bedroom of the home at 103 Beck Court.
"I smelled plastic and the lights went out," she said.
Four of her six children were also inside, she said, and all got out safely.
Boone Fire Department responded to the scene and quickly tackled the blaze, containing the most severe damage to the left side of the structure. One firefighter tossed burned items out the side window while others worked to ventilate the home.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.