Eustace Conway trespassing charge dismissed
A trespassing charge against Turtle Island Preserve founder Eustace Conway was dismissed Tuesday in Watauga County court, according to court records.
Conway, 51, was charged with
misdemeanor second-degree trespassing in December 2012 after a complaint by a neighbor.
Conway, who has been profiled in Elizabeth Gilbert's "The Last American Man" and the History Channel's "Mountain Men" series, had to close the camp to the public last fall due to health and building code violations.
The trespassing case was continued several
times before being dismissed Tuesday by Judge Ted McEntire at the close of the state's evidence
In December 2012, Margaret Palms of Little Laurel Road in Boone reported to sheriff's deputies that Conway had entered her property and tied her gate closed, according to court documents. She also said that he had posted about 15 letters on the gate and mailbox, as well as moved a wooden stand to block the driveway.
Palms said in an interview at the time that property disputes between her family and Conway had been occurring for years.
"He thinks that he owns part of our land," Palms said in December 2012. "He's been on our property several times, and we've asked him not to come on it."
Conway could not be reached immediately Thursday to comment on the case.