Deep Gap home burns Saturday
Firefighters were called to the house on Moretz Farm Road shortly after 4 a.m. and found the back half of the house in flames, said Assistant Chief Joey Parsons of the Deep Gap Volunteer Fire Department.
The flames spread from a chimney fire that got into the walls, Parsons said.
Three occupants of the rental home escaped without injuries, and the Red Cross was assisting the family.
Parsons said about half of the house was destroyed in the blaze, and the rest of the home and contents suffered heavy smoke and water damage.
Deep Gap firefighters were assisted by the Boone, Blowing Rock, Stewart Simmons, Todd, Fleetwood and Champion fire departments.