DA presented with Best Western case Thursday
by Anna Oakes
The Boone Police Department presents its findings from the investigation into three carbon monoxide deaths at Boone's Best Western hotel to the district attorney's office on Thursday afternoon, the department said.
"There will be no further releases concerning the presentation," the department said in a statement.
In April, Daryl and Shirley Jenkins, ages 73 and 72, died during a visit to Best Western in Boone. On June 8, 11-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams died in the same hotel room, and his mother, Jeannie Williams, was hospitalized with injuries. Police determined that all three deaths were caused by elevated carbon monoxide levels originating from a faulty pool water heater and exhaust system.
Police investigators held a preliminary meeting with the DA's office last month, during which Assistant District Attorney Britt Springer requested additional information.
Boone Police Capt. Andy Le Beau said last month that the police department would not file any criminal charges unless the district attorney's office was comfortable with the case.
"It's a decision that we're not going to be making at the police department," he said.