Book challenge appeal committee chosen
by Kellen Short
The committee will include:
- Interim Superintendent David Fonseca
- Klay Anderson, math teacher and 2013-14 WHS Teacher of the Year
- Amy Hiatt, media specialist at Hardin Park
- Patrick Sukow, principal at Blowing Rock
- Dr. Clint Zimmerman, community representative
Last month, Chastity Lesesne, the mother of a sophomore honors English student at Watauga High School, challenged the class's study of Isabel Allende's "The House of the Spirits."
Lesesne said that the novel was graphic and immoral in its descriptions of rape, sex and violence.
On Oct. 25, the WHS Media and Technology Advisory Committee voted to uphold the use of the book. Lesesne has said she plans to appeal that decision.
The review committee will meet at some date in the future to consider the appeal and make a decision on whether the book may remain as part of the curriculum.
If Lesesne is unsatisfied with the decision, she could appeal to the Board of Education for a final ruling.